A 2018 Infostretch Report
The New Digital Era Requires Increased
Speed and Agility in Testing & QA
For organizations that see digital driving their future, test/QA organizations play an increasingly critical role in their success. The ability to support the demand for faster cycle times and higher service levels is essential in every aspect.
Infostretch has observed that by making this shift successfully, enterprises can improve employee productivity, open up new revenue channels, enhance customer service and engagement, and distinguish themselves from their competition – all while reducing their operational costs in development and QA.
Change is Inevitable as Digital Transformation Puts
More Pressure on Software Delivery Teams
With the evolution of digital, which of the following factors are becoming inevitable for QA teams?
Test/QA teams can adjust by:
- 1 Leveraging cloud-based testing labs like Perfecto Continuous Quality Lab to help manage the increasing number of devices, operating systems and form factors that need to be tested to assure a great user experience. Solutions like this can also replicate system interconnectivity that is becoming such an integral part of the digital landscape.
- 2 Adopting continuous testing and automation approaches to enable faster feedback cycles for development teams.
- 3 Incorporating intelligent testing solutions like Infostretch ASTUTE that leverage advanced machine learning techniques to optimize every aspect of the testing cycle from discovery to maintenance.
Leading Hotel & Resort Chain Enhances Digital User Experience through Streamlined Test/QA
Infostretch Unveils ASTUTE, A New AI-Powered Software Testing Solution to Achieve True Digital Transformation
Priorities are Shifting for Test and QA Teams
How is digital transformation shifting priorities of QA organizations?
- 1 More companies are adopting best practices for DevOps and Agile environments such as continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) processes that integrate dev/test efforts to compress cycle time and increase ROI.
- 2 They are also looking at artificial intelligence and machine learning algorithms for predictive and prescriptive analytics – to not only help anticipate defects early, but also provide appropriate recommendations against those defects to speed cycle time and improve quality.
- 3 There is a renewed focus on streamlining both operational and infrastructure costs in test/QA leading to greater interest in cloud-based testing services.
- 4 The ability to effectively test new IoT and smart devices has also gained in importance. As the IoT ecosystem grows, so do the number of unique combinations of use cases against devices, operating systems and other conditions. This not only reinforces the need for a well thought out development strategy, it also makes testing and QA more complex.
Financial Services Company Accelerates Time-to-Market for Digital Using DevOps
Infrastructure and Configuration as Code come to the CI/CD rescue
As DevOps Gains Adoption, QA is “Shifting Left” in the Software Development Lifecycle – and Being More Closely Integrated with Development
With increasing DevOps adoption, how do you see the role of QA changing on the software development lifecycle?
2/3rd of respondents see testing becoming an integral part of development in their organizations.
This “shift left” approach enables QA teams to find bugs and defects sooner and development teams to fix them more quickly and less expensively – before they impact a customer.
This model ensures quality throughout the entire software development lifecycle, reducing costs, accelerating release cycles, and increasing customer satisfaction.
Shift Left Best Practices to Keep
Pace in Digital
New Jenkins plugin tackles DevOps
pipelines and app maintenance
These Shifts are Creating New Challenges for Test/QA Organizations, and Exacerbating Existing Ones
What are some of the major QA challenges of your organization?
- 1 Insufficient time to test new applications and services forces difficult decisions about how to prioritize test resources and increases the risk for poor service quality and negative impact on brand reputation.
- 2 Increased complexity created by an increasing number of technological combinations and a lack of new devices to test on makes it even more difficult for test/QA teams to keep up with the accelerated pace of development. As a result, delivery teams are unable to take full advantage of gains from DevOps and Agile initiatives.
- 3 Putting the right people and processes in place to enable implementation of best practices has become increasingly difficult as demand for digital skills intensifies. Many organizations are looking to third party experts to extend their existing capabilities and to help put the infrastructure in place to meet their future digital needs.
- 4 Finding and accessing the right set of tools to support their testing efforts is also challenging delivery teams. This is another area outside experts can help – finding the right solution to fit the organization’s existing infrastructure and skill set along with its future plans.
Quality Assurance to Quality Engineering: A Must Cross Chasm
Test Automation is Critical and QA Organizations are Increasing Their Use, But More Progress is Needed for Enterprises to Meet the New Demands of Digital
What percentage of your testing efforts are automated?
Enterprise progress in automating software testing efforts varies, but the majority have automated less than 25%.
As business demands put more pressure on organizations to speed cycle time for new digital services, enterprises must embrace automation more than ever before.
This facilitates the organization’s ability to:
- 1 Unify the testing of web, mobile and native apps and services
- 2 Adopt a feedback-driven approach to identify user issues early in the cycle
- 3 Support continuous integration/delivery processes
Yet, the reality is that most organizations still have a huge backlog of manual test cases that need to be automated before they can move forward. This is difficult without the proper resources and tools in place.
Accelerating Your Digital Initiatives
with Quality Engineering
Healthcare Service Provider Increases Digital Quality with
Comprehensive QA and Test Automation Strategy
Software Code Release Frequency Continues to Accelerate, but There are Still Some Laggards
What is the frequency of your releases?
Over 20% of respondents are releasing new code weekly, and the majority (40%) currently managing to a monthly release schedule. Less than 20% are still on a quarterly release schedule.
To accelerate cycle time, delivery teams need to address multiple areas:
- 1 QA teams need to start test execution early in the project development lifecycle.
- 2 Development team needs to prioritize feedback from the QA team based on the product requirements as well as issue severity. And then make team resources available to act on those priorities and resolve them.
- 3 Both development and test/QA need to commit to allocate or free up enough resources to provide the feedback as well as to act on the feedback provided within the stipulated amount of resolution period.
- 4 Automation is also critical to accomplishing these things – from deployment of virtual services, to installation of the latest build.
Peleton Conquers Digital Testing Challenges
Companies are Leveraging a Variety of QA Processes and Best Practices to Accelerate Their Software Delivery Efforts
Which of the following QA principals are you currently using?
The most common cited in the survey were integrating automation with CI/CD pipelines, risk-based testing, in-sprint automation, and behavior-driven/test-driven development.
In addition, we see organizations implementing a variety of other strategies to accelerate their software development lifecycles and meet the new demands of digital. These include:
- 1 Refocusing their QA efforts from testing features and functions to evaluating customer experience and business assurance.
- 2 Expanding their testing teams’ skills beyond manual and test automation to end-to-end quality engineering.
- 3 Using proven Agile and DevOps practices to break down silos.
- 4 Prioritizing testing with predictive quality analytics and continuous monitoring and feedback.
- 5 Leveraging on-demand testing environments to increase their agility.
Continuous Integration Accelerates Time to Market
What are your preferred testing tools?
Leading digital and enterprise technology solutions can help ensure digital
initiatives deliver the greatest possible impact
Digital Demands a Wide Range of Testing Skills, But Organizations are Finding Certain Skillsets Very Difficult to Find
The most difficult skills to find are:
QA in DevOps and Agile environments
Newer test automation skills
Optimizing test environments
Certain skillsets such as test automation and QE process experience have become mandatory when hiring while manual testing and functional domain expertise have become less relevant.
As companies get up to speed on Agile and DevOps, they are starting to turn their attention to predictive analytics and machine learning. We see a lot of demand for this skillset as companies look to see how they can leverage these technologies to further accelerate their automation efforts.
Digital assurance demands a wide range of testing skills. In which areas is finding the right skillset a challenge?
When hiring for your testing teams, what are the mandatory skills you are looking for?
AI and Machine Learning to
Optimize Software Testing
Predictive and Prescriptive QA Services
Streamline Test Automation
Digital Demands a Different Approach
Is Your Organization Keeping Pace?
Digital requires all businesses to move faster and more flexibly than ever before in software delivery – without sacrificing quality. This requires integrating the efforts of their Dev and QA teams and automating manual processes wherever possible.
Infostretch is a digital-first professional services firm. We help enterprises get digital right the first time with proven methodologies, tools and infrastructure enable companies to transform their test and QA efforts to meet the demands of digital. These include best practices in Agile testing, continuous integration and test-driven development and industry-leading products and tools that help clients improve service quality and speed time to market while reducing their operational costs.
We also provide intelligent automation services which encompass testing BOTs that help accelerate automation of backlogs. These services leverage AI and Machine Learning concepts and testing best practices to optimize test cases and take advantage of test data.
We Deploy the Right Blend of Resources to Complement Your Existing Team and Leverage Existing Tools and Resources Where Appropriate. This Ensures Optimal Impact and ROI
See How Your Organization Measures up Against
Industry Best Practices
Advance your Quality Engineering efforts with our free comprehensive evaluation
Talk to Infostretch
We would love to hear more about your project.
Even a short phone call can help us explain how our solutions can accelerate your mobility, jump start your continuous delivery and help reduce costs. And that’s just for starters, understanding more about your project will enable us to build a solution that fits your objectives, infrastructure and aspirations!
Our team is available to chat through your project. Contact us
Latest News, Events, and Thought Leadership
Hear us speak on “Hyper-Connected Apps: Don’t Let Peripherals Play Havoc with Mobile App Testing”
See More Events
Feb 19, 2019 @ 12:45pm – 1:45pm
The Ohio Union, Columbus, OH
Feb 20, 2019
Learn how RPA Helps in Solving Many Automation Challenges
See More Webcasts
Jan 31, 2019 10AM PT / 1PM EST
Feb 01, 2019